Source : The Star Online
10 facts you didn’t know about nuts in a nutshell.
1. Cashew nut shells are poisonous which explains why cashew nuts are sold without their shells. They actually belong to the poison ivy family.
2. Pistachio is actually a fruit. They have been classified as a fruit not just because of their colour but also because it contains chlorophyll.
3. Peanut is the only nut that grows underground. The other nuts grow on trees or plants.
4. Nuts can be used as a thickening agent (eg: in curries). Just soak them in water and blend together to form a paste to add into your dish.
5. Macadamias are poisonous to dogs. So, avoid feeding them to dogs because it can be fatal. It will cause paralysis and muscle tremor.
6. Chestnuts have the lowest fat and calorie content while macadamias have the highest. Nonetheless, these are saturated fats – the healthier fats.
7. Ground walnut shells can be used for cleaning old brass while the nut itself can be used to remove scratches on wooden furnitures. Just rub a walnut against your scratched furniture and voila, it is good as new!
8. Among all the nuts, walnuts have the highest content of omega-3 fatty acids. So, it is time to add more walnuts to your diet.
9. Some paints contain walnut shells because it helps add texture.
10. Lastly, no, coconuts are not nuts.